Subject: Re: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 18:18:12 +0300

> From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 15:00:46 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Btw, I see that you are attaching to a running Emacs instead of
> > starting Emacs from GDB.  Any reason why you do that?
> 
> Because running emacs became very slow under gdb. But it seems not every
> operation ("just" spawning processes..?), so I'm trying this now.
> 
> >  Would you mind running Emacs from GDB after setting this option:
> >
> >   (gdb) set debugexceptions on
> 
> This seems to trigger often, so I'm not able to use emacs while it's on. Here's
> a few exceptions I caught before turning it off again.

That's strange.  Did you start GDB from the src directory of the Emacs
source tree, perhaps?  If so, try starting GDB from another directory.

If debugexceptions doesn't help even when you start GDB from a
different directory, I need to think about something else.  What
happens on your system is very strange.  These are not "normal"
crashes, AFAICT.  Something else is at work on your system.  Do you
have some unusual software running there, perhaps, or some Windows
feature(s) enabled that is/are usually disabled?