Subject: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:46:55 +0300

> From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 20:47:32 +0200
> Cc: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> I don't see this when running my own compiled emacs, but it might be something
> on my end. I had the gnu ftp version in my path before mingw. When loading
> emacs, the emacs supplied libraries were used, but libgccjit is loaded from
> mingw as it is not shipped with emacs. Could something like this be the source
> of my problems?
> 
> But when removing that path from my PATH and using a self-compiled emacs, I
> still get the same zero stackframe even though I see all libraries are loaded
> from mingw where I compiled emacs. So maybe just a red herring?

The libgccjit issue is unlikely to be a factor, since it is not used
in a build without native-compilation, and you say such a build also
crashes in the same way.

What bugs me is why only you see these crashes?  Emacs is used on
MS-Windows by many people, but no one has yet reported such crashes,
certainly not in the unoptimized build.

Let's ask Emacs to help us some more, okay?  Please reconfigure like
this:

  CFLAGS='-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3' ./configure --without-native-compilation \
    --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type \
    --with-modules --without-dbus --without-compress-install \
    --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter

then rebuild, and see if the extra checking code catches some problems
before they become SIGSEGV due to zero address.