Subject: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 20:05:48 +0200

> ??? If you configure --with-native-compilation=no, then no_native=true
> should have no effect, none at all.  So something was not completely
> clean there, or native compilation is not the reason.

I used the same folder for all builds, so it might have been tainted. I
tried that build again several times, and I got it failing in the same manner as
the other builds. No idea how it could *not* fail so many times in a row
yesterday. However, I started over by using a clean git clone folder for each
build. I used --without-native-compilation instead of my previous
--with-native-compilation=no, but I guess those are the same?

> So please build Emacs --without-native-compilation, and see if such a
> build still crashes with those strange backtraces that show zero
> addresses on the callstack.

So yes, I get the same crashes with the same zero stacktraces on
--without-native-compilation / --with-native-compilation=no (with and without
no_native=true).

I'll see if I can create a smaller example which I can share as I cannot share
my entire config.

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 8:51 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 23:03:23 +0200
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >
> > I did a make clean, followed by make (without -j). The following files failed to
> > compile (backtrace); progmodes/vhdl-mode.eln, play/life.eln,
> > emulation/cua-base.eln,
> > notifications.eln.
> >
> > Could be an issue with gcc 14 though..?
>
> Yes.  I think even GCC 13 needs some optimization disabled, see
> bug#63365.
>
> But debugging native-compilation on Windows with GCC 14 is not the
> purpose of this bug report.  This bug report is concerned with crashes
> you have at run time; that shouldn't be directly caused by a failure
> to native-compile some Lisp file (because such a compilation is run in
> a separate process).
>
> So please build Emacs --without-native-compilation, and see if such a
> build still crashes with those strange backtraces that show zero
> addresses on the callstack.  If the build without native compilation
> still crashes in a similar way, the problems with native compilation
> are not relevant to this bug report.