Subject: Re: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 09:51:05 +0300

> From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 23:03:23 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I did a make clean, followed by make (without -j). The following files failed to
> compile (backtrace); progmodes/vhdl-mode.eln, play/life.eln,
> emulation/cua-base.eln,
> notifications.eln.
> 
> Could be an issue with gcc 14 though..?

Yes.  I think even GCC 13 needs some optimization disabled, see
bug#63365.

But debugging native-compilation on Windows with GCC 14 is not the
purpose of this bug report.  This bug report is concerned with crashes
you have at run time; that shouldn't be directly caused by a failure
to native-compile some Lisp file (because such a compilation is run in
a separate process).

So please build Emacs --without-native-compilation, and see if such a
build still crashes with those strange backtraces that show zero
addresses on the callstack.  If the build without native compilation
still crashes in a similar way, the problems with native compilation
are not relevant to this bug report.