Subject: Re: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 14:23:00 +0300

> From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 12:14:11 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Here's a backtrace of the most recent crash. I have no idea if it's
> one issue or several. It seems to be crashing at arbitrary times,
> often just when writing plain text in org-mode buffers.

It's unclear what happened here and why.  Seems like some fatal
exception in the middle of all-completions call, but why would that
be?

I do see that you have quite a few 3rd-party packages involved in
this: vertico, orderless, and consult at least.

I also see that one of the threads is run by Glib, which sounds
strange to me, but maybe it's because of librsvg?  Not sure if this is
related to the crash.

This part of your environment:

  Important settings:
    value of $LANG: en_US
    locale-coding-system: cp65001   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

might also be related: AFAIU it means you configured your system to
use UTF-8 encoding by default, which might cause issues with
sub-processes, because Emacs on Windows doesn't support passing UTF-8
encoded arguments to sub-processes.  And the backtrace indicates that
you had a sub-process running when this happened (or at least a thread
was running waiting for output from a sub-process).

And why is the value of $LANG "en_US"?  It's supposed to be "ENU" on
Windows.  Did you customize the locale and/or the defaults for the
coding-systems, and if so, how?

In any case, please keep running Emacs under GDB and post two or three
more backtraces from the crash, so that we could see which parts of
this to focus on.

Thanks.