Subject: Re: bug#70914: 29.3; Crashes often on Windows

From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 12:14:11 +0200

Here's a backtrace of the most recent crash. I have no idea if it's
one issue or several. It seems to be crashing at arbitrary times,
often just when writing plain text in org-mode buffers.

Attaching to process 23984
[New Thread 23984.0x20b0]
[New Thread 23984.0x5a2c]
[New Thread 23984.0x1fc0]
[New Thread 23984.0x5ad0]
[New Thread 23984.0x5034]
[New Thread 23984.0x53fc]
[New Thread 23984.0x4564]
Reading symbols from C:\programs\emacs\latest\bin\emacs.exe...
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
[Thread 23984.0x4564 exited with code 0]

Thread 1 received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 23984.0x6154]
0x00007ffbafc7d003 in KERNELBASE!DebugBreak () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll
(gdb) thread apply all bt

Thread 7 (Thread 23984.0x53fc):
#0  0x00007ffbb2712fb4 in ntdll!ZwWaitForWorkViaWorkerFactory () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x00007ffbb26a537e in ntdll!RtlClearThreadWorkOnBehalfTicket ()
from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#2  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#3  0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#4  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 6 (Thread 23984.0x5034):
#0  0x00007ffbb270f3e4 in ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x00007ffbafba421e in WaitForSingleObjectEx () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll
#2  0x00007ff71e21e488 in reader_thread ()
#3  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#4  0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#5  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 5 (Thread 23984.0x5ad0):
#0  0x00007ffbb270feb4 in ntdll!ZwWaitForMultipleObjects () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x00007ffbafbcfd19 in WaitForMultipleObjectsEx () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll
#2  0x00007ffbb12c8b5d in combase!RoGetApartmentIdentifier () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
#3  0x00007ffbb12c89ca in combase!RoGetApartmentIdentifier () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
#4  0x00007ffbb12c87bf in combase!RoGetApartmentIdentifier () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
#5  0x00007ffbb12c86b9 in combase!RoGetApartmentIdentifier () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
#6  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#7  0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#8  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 4 (Thread 23984.0x1fc0):
#0  0x00007ffbb2712fb4 in ntdll!ZwWaitForWorkViaWorkerFactory () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x00007ffbb26a537e in ntdll!RtlClearThreadWorkOnBehalfTicket ()
from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#2  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#3  0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#4  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 3 (Thread 23984.0x5a2c "pool"):
#0  0x00007ffbb2712f54 in ntdll!ZwWaitForAlertByThreadId () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x00007ffbb26d91db in ntdll!RtlSleepConditionVariableSRW () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#2  0x00007ffbafbe2ae9 in SleepConditionVariableSRW () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll
--Type <RET> for more, q to quit, c to continue without paging--c
#3  0x00007ffb7835637b in ?? () from
C:\programs\emacs\latest\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
#4  0x00007ffb783b9a5b in ?? () from
C:\programs\emacs\latest\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
#5  0x00007ffb783b90a1 in ?? () from
C:\programs\emacs\latest\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
#6  0x00007ffb783e8897 in ?? () from
C:\programs\emacs\latest\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
#7  0x00007ffbb09fe634 in msvcrt!_beginthreadex () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
#8  0x00007ffbb09fe70c in msvcrt!_endthreadex () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
#9  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#10 0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#11 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 2 (Thread 23984.0x20b0):
#0  0x00007ffbb02c1534 in win32u!NtUserGetMessage () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\win32u.dll
#1  0x00007ffbb1ff5e8a in USER32!GetMessageW () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\user32.dll
#2  0x00007ff71e1e5e79 in w32_msg_pump ()
#3  0x00007ff71e1e65ab in w32_msg_worker ()
#4  0x00007ffbb112257d in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\kernel32.dll
#5  0x00007ffbb26caa48 in ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 1 (Thread 23984.0x6154):
#0  0x00007ffbafc7d003 in KERNELBASE!DebugBreak () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KernelBase.dll
#1  0x00007ff71e1e5ba8 in emacs_abort ()
#2  0x00007ff71e0b6aae in terminate_due_to_signal ()
#3  0x00007ff71e0d7a9c in deliver_fatal_thread_signal ()
#4  0x00007ff71e24b122 in _gnu_exception_handler
(exception_data=0xafce3fa780) at
C:/M/mingw-w64-crt-git/src/mingw-w64/mingw-w64-crt/crt/crt_handler.c:223
#5  0x00007ffbb09eb248 in msvcrt!__C_specific_handler () from
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
#6  0x00007ffbb271440f in ntdll!.chkstk () from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#7  0x00007ffbb268e466 in ntdll!RtlFindCharInUnicodeString () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#8  0x00007ffbb27133fe in ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher () from
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
#9  0x00007ff71e0ec111 in Fall_completions ()
#10 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#11 0x00007ffb8d5c1dd0 in
F636f6d706c6574652d776974682d616374696f6e_complete_with_action_0 ()
from c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\minibuffer-1b0f548b-25462d74.eln
#12 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#13 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#14 0x00007ff71e0ebfc9 in Fall_completions ()
#15 0x00007ffb413f3c1c in
F6f726465726c6573732d2d66696c746572_orderless__filter_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\orderless-66633fb5-49f5bbfe.eln
#16 0x00007ff71e148cab in funcall_subr ()
#17 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#18 0x00007ffb413f3e32 in
F6f726465726c6573732d616c6c2d636f6d706c6574696f6e73_orderless_all_completions_0
() from d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\orderless-66633fb5-49f5bbfe.eln
#19 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#20 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#21 0x00007ffb8d5c1c8c in
F636f6d706c6574696f6e2d2d736f6d65_completion__some_0 () from
c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\minibuffer-1b0f548b-25462d74.eln
#22 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#23 0x00007ffb8d5c6c3b in
F636f6d706c6574696f6e2d2d6e74682d636f6d706c6574696f6e_completion__nth_completion_0
() from c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\minibuffer-1b0f548b-25462d74.eln
#24 0x00007ff71e148c84 in funcall_subr ()
#25 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#26 0x00007ffb8d5c6fd1 in
F636f6d706c6574696f6e2d616c6c2d636f6d706c6574696f6e73_completion_all_completions_0
() from c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\minibuffer-1b0f548b-25462d74.eln
#27 0x00007ff71e148cab in funcall_subr ()
#28 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#29 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#30 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#31 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#32 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#33 0x00007ffb413b32c0 in
F7665727469636f2d2d66696c7465722d636f6d706c6574696f6e73_vertico__filter_completions_0
() from d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\vertico-cf8d97d4-4ee7ed86.eln
#34 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#35 0x00007ffb413b367e in
F7665727469636f2d2d7265636f6d70757465_vertico__recompute_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\vertico-cf8d97d4-4ee7ed86.eln
#36 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#37 0x00007ffb413b511a in
F7665727469636f2d2d757064617465_vertico__update_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\vertico-cf8d97d4-4ee7ed86.eln
#38 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#39 0x00007ffb413b61bb in
F7665727469636f2d2d65786869626974_vertico__exhibit_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\vertico-cf8d97d4-4ee7ed86.eln
#40 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#41 0x00007ff71e143f2f in internal_condition_case_n ()
#42 0x00007ff71e0b8ad4 in safe_run_hook_funcall ()
#43 0x00007ff71e14457c in run_hook_with_args ()
#44 0x00007ff71e0b8107 in safe_run_hooks_maybe_narrowed.constprop ()
#45 0x00007ff71e0cc6b8 in command_loop_1 ()
#46 0x00007ff71e143c7d in internal_condition_case ()
#47 0x00007ff71e0b73ae in command_loop_2 ()
#48 0x00007ff71e143beb in internal_catch ()
#49 0x00007ff71e0b728f in command_loop ()
#50 0x00007ff71e0bf98d in recursive_edit_1 ()
#51 0x00007ff71e0eebeb in Fread_from_minibuffer ()
#52 0x00007ffb8d5d887b in
F636f6d706c6574696e672d726561642d64656661756c74_completing_read_default_0
() from c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\minibuffer-1b0f548b-25462d74.eln
#53 0x00007ff71e148c16 in funcall_subr ()
#54 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#55 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#56 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#57 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#58 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#59 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#60 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#61 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#62 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#63 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#64 0x00007ff71e0eab99 in Fcompleting_read ()
#65 0x00007ff71e148c16 in funcall_subr ()
#66 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#67 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#68 0x00007ffb4957bd5f in
F636f6e73756c742d2d776974682d707265766965772d31_consult__with_preview_1_0
() from d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\consult-783b2aaa-a9df352b.eln
#69 0x00007ff71e148c84 in funcall_subr ()
#70 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#71 0x00007ffb49582cf0 in
F636f6e73756c742d2d726561642d31_consult__read_1_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\consult-783b2aaa-a9df352b.eln
#72 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#73 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#74 0x00007ffb495836e8 in F636f6e73756c742d2d72656164_consult__read_0
() from d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\consult-783b2aaa-a9df352b.eln
#75 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#76 0x00007ff71e1458b8 in Fapply ()
#77 0x00007ffb4958678d in
F636f6e73756c742d2d6d756c7469_consult__multi_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\consult-783b2aaa-a9df352b.eln
#78 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#79 0x00007ffb495956a5 in
F636f6e73756c742d627566666572_consult_buffer_0 () from
d:\.emacs.d\.local\cache\eln\29.3-5efa4952\consult-783b2aaa-a9df352b.eln
#80 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#81 0x00007ff71e145a48 in Fapply ()
#82 0x00007ff71e18eac2 in exec_byte_code ()
#83 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#84 0x00007ff71e1412f7 in Ffuncall_interactively ()
#85 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#86 0x00007ff71e145a48 in Fapply ()
#87 0x00007ff71e142ae0 in Fcall_interactively ()
#88 0x00007ffb8554efdf in
F636f6d6d616e642d65786563757465_command_execute_0 () from
c:\programs\emacs\latest\lib\emacs\29.3\native-lisp\29.3-5efa4952\preloaded\simple-fab5b0cf-9ff4140c.eln
#89 0x00007ff71e145688 in Ffuncall ()
#90 0x00007ff71e0cbdd2 in command_loop_1 ()
#91 0x00007ff71e143c7d in internal_condition_case ()
#92 0x00007ff71e0b73ae in command_loop_2 ()
#93 0x00007ff71e143beb in internal_catch ()
#94 0x00007ff71e0b733c in command_loop ()
#95 0x00007ff71e0bf98d in recursive_edit_1 ()
#96 0x00007ff71e0bfd50 in Frecursive_edit ()
#97 0x00007ff71e25d170 in main ()

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 12:36 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Simen Endsjø <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 10:47:51 +0200
> >
> > I experience crashes on windows quite often, but never on GNU/Linux.
> > I've tried following the descriptions to get more descriptive backtrace,
> > but each line is just reported as `??  ??:0`
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Crashing.html
>
> That's due to ASLR; we fixed that on master, but the fix is not in
> Emacs 29.
>
> > Backtrace:
> > 00007ff665775bce
> > 00007ff665646aa6
>
> These addresses cannot be interpreted except on your machine.  If you
> have GDB installed, please try running Emacs from GDB, and when it
> crashes, produce a backtrace ("thread apply all bt") and post it here.
>
> Failing that, can you describe what you are doing when Emacs crashes?
>
> Thanks.