Subject: bug#70910: xdot has stopped working after update to 1.3

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 12:18:53 +0200

Hi Ada,

(Cc: Artyom, who updated xdot in
a47fe0fdc4b13c850da29c0e11ab63d2041534c1.)

Ada Stevenson <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I was trying to use `xdot` to view to output of `guix graph` (`guix
> graph bash | xdot -`). However, it crashed instantly with the
> following stack trace:
>
>> dot: No such file or directory
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File
>> "/gnu/store/r9mrqfpci65hsypgm7r5kpzxlm6fcd1l-xdot-1.3/bin/.xdot-real",
>> line 33, in <module>
>>     sys.exit(load_entry_point('xdot==1.3', 'gui_scripts', 'xdot')())

Looks like the problem is that ‘dot’ is not in $PATH in your case.

On my machine, ‘dot’ is in $PATH because I also have it in my profile,
and thus ‘guix graph bash | xdot -’ works fine.

Artyom, I think we should replace the reference to ‘dot’ in the source
with its absolute file name, ‘/gnu/store/…/bin/dot’.  That way xdot
would work whether or not one has installed ‘graphviz’ independently.

Could you take a look?

Thanks,
Ludo’.