Subject: Re: bug#70907: [PATCH] Render using Haunt; per dthompson's recommendation.

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 06:29:08 -0700

Hi Arun,

On Mon, May 13 2024, Arun Isaac wrote:

> I don't want mumi to depend on haunt, a static site generator.

Well, Mumi does, and has.  Pulling the code from Haunt is the honest and
right thing to do.  What does 'want' have to do with it?

> It feels like too large of a dependency.

I don't think it has much bearing.  Which other packages consume Mumi?
The effect in the dependency graphs is almost zero.

> Could we achieve the same effect using sxml->html from guile-lib? If
> not, could we patch guile-lib to that effect?

That's an appealing idea---and maybe David could shed some light on the
need to reimplement sxml->html---but it should not stand in the way of
fixing things.

It could be something to consider for the future.  If David were to
contribute the routine to guile-lib, it would disappear from Haunt.
That would cause us to inquire where it went and then switch to
guile-lib as a prerequisite instead.

On Mon, May 13 2024, David Thompson wrote:

> Feel free to just snarf the relevant code from haunt

While your offer is generous, it would be an error.  Let's learn from
the past: That decision was made at an earlier point in time.  By
failing to keep up, it caused the need for this patch.

Kind regards
Felix