Subject: Re: bug#70901: 30.0.50; Tramp doesn't use ControlMaster even with (setq tramp-use-connection-share nil)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 11:42:49 +0200

Version: 30.1

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Dmitry,

>> I've changed it such a way that the message "Opening connection ..."
>> appears only until the prompt from remote is seen. For the rest, there
>> will be another message "Setup connection ...".
>> As bonus, the "Opening connection ..." message appears now for every
>> hop
>> in the multi-hop case. This is new.
>> Could you pls check the appended patch?
>
> It's working well, thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. Pushed to master, closing the bug.

> A minor downside is more messages, but at level 3 Tramp is fairly
> chatty anyway - so people who would be bothered by it should reduce
> the value of 'tramp-verbose'. But now the connection process looks
> more clear.

You cannot have both: dividing the message into two different ones, and
not making Tramp more chatty. And if you change the message level of
"Setup connection ..." to something different, there will be a quiet
Tramp saying "Opening connection ... done" w/o returning control to the
user for a while. Another source of complaints I like to avoid.

The change, that Tramp says now "Opening connection ..." for every hop
in a multi-hop environment is an advantage I believe. You have a better
view on where Tramp is working (and maybe being blocked).

> Best regards,
> Dmitry

Best regards, Michael.