Subject: Re: bug#70901: 30.0.50; Tramp doesn't use ControlMaster even with (setq tramp-use-connection-share nil)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 19:47:17 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dmitry,

> Do you perhaps see a way to change messaging (to the echo area) that
> would remove the impression that the connection is still being
> established after it has already been established (and we're in the
> process of additional Tramp connection initialization)?

Tramp messages are grouped in different levels. If we want more
fine-grained information, the respective message should have a higher
level. Tramp is thrifty with level 3 messages.

However, per default Tramp shows only messages up to level 3. A message
with a higher level wouldn't be seen by the majority of the users.

What if we document the meaning of the "Opening connection ..." message
instead? Something like

diff --git a/doc/misc/tramp.texi b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
index d1c58d83aeb..45be1e27931 100644
--- a/doc/misc/tramp.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
@@ -2940,6 +2940,13 @@ Ssh setup
 set to @code{t} or @code{suppress}, @command{plink} is called with the
 option @option{-share} or @option{-noshare}, respectively.

+@strong{Note} that the @value{tramp} message @samp{Opening connection
+...} in the echo area spans not only the time until @command{ssh} or
+@command{plink} return the echo prompt.  It includes also the time for
+initialization @value{tramp} performs on the remote host.  Therefore,
+the effect of the @code{tramp-use-connection-share} setting isn't
+determined by this time period completely.
+

 @subsection Configure direct copying between two remote servers

Best regards, Michael.