Subject: bug#70901: 30.0.50; Tramp doesn't use ControlMaster even with (setq tramp-use-connection-share nil)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 11:01:35 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael!

Hi Dmitry,

>> tramp-use-connection-share can have three different values, t, nil or
>> `suppress'. And in case it is nil, nothing wrt ControlMaster will be
>> added to the ssh call.
>
> That was the expectation. I experimented with setting ControlMaster
> settings through tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options as well - to the same
> effect - but we should probably concentrate on just one scenario in
> this report.
>
>> Could you pls set tramp-verbose to 6, rerun your test, and show the
>> Tramp debug buffer?
>
> Attached, one scenario in an 'emacs -Q'
> session. tramp-use-connection-share and tramp-verbose are the only two
> settings there.
>
> Hope there's nothing sensitive in here (it's a GNU server).

No, I don't believe so.

The Tramp ssh call looks like it should. Tramp doesn't care about
ControlMaster with your settings:

> 14:41:04.227455 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Sending command ‘exec ssh -l dgutov -e none fencepost.gnu.org || exit’
> 14:41:04.227485 tramp-send-command (6) # exec ssh -l dgutov -e none fencepost.gnu.org || exit
> 14:41:06.037182 tramp-process-actions (6) # 
> Last login: Mon May 13 07:39:46 2024 from 82.102.62.129
> dgutov@fencepost:~$ 

Best regards, Michael.