Subject: Re: bug#7089: 23.2; slow ansi-color-apply

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:35:26 +0000

On 2010-11-25 16:31 +0000, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I was setting out to profile the two versions of the function and
>> unfortunately I was not able to see the CPU shootup mentioned in the
>> first message. My result shows my version of ansi-color-apply is almost
>> twice as slow as the original one. (The code and data used for profiling
>> are attached.)
>
> OK, thanks.  As mentioned, it might depend on the density of SGR escape
> sequences (and on the size of the text chunks processed, which can
> depend on the machine load).

For the record, there's a bug in my version due to the use of
copy-marker, which will create many markers in the temp buffer. Should
use set-marker instead. But even after fixing this, mine is still
slower. So the conclusion holds.

While doing this I have found a bug in the original ansi-color-apply.
I'll put it in a separate report.

Leo