Subject: Re: bug#7089: 23.2; slow ansi-color-apply

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:30:54 +0000

On 2010-10-31 19:10 +0000, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Do you know for sure string-match is slower (more CPU intensive) than
>> re-search-forward?
>
> They should be largely equivalent.  The difference between the two codes
> might be due to replace-match and substring.  I.e. the original
> ansi-color-apply should be at least as efficient as your code (if not
> more) in the case where there are no SGR escape sequences.
>
>
>         Stefan

I was setting out to profile the two versions of the function and
unfortunately I was not able to see the CPU shootup mentioned in the
first message. My result shows my version of ansi-color-apply is almost
twice as slow as the original one. (The code and data used for profiling
are attached.)

So please ignore this bug report.

Leo