Subject: bug#70856: closed (Re: bug#70856: 30.0.50; Hang when scrolling the echo-line with pixel-scroll-precision-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 06:03:01 +0000

Your bug report

#70856: 30.0.50; Hang when scrolling the echo-line with pixel-scroll-precision-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70856: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70856
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70856: 30.0.50; Hang when scrolling the echo-line with pixel-scroll-precision-mode
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 14:01:41 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steven Allen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fixed! Thanks!

Closing, thanks.

> (I still think we should disable mwheel scrolling in the echo area,
> but that's a separate and negligible-priority issue)

Indeed, that's a question for another day.

Subject: 30.0.50; Hang when scrolling the echo-line with pixel-scroll-precision-mode
From: Steven Allen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 May 2024 15:56:31 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Scrolling (mouse-wheel) in the echo line when
`pixel-scroll-precision-mode` is enabled hangs until `C-g` is pressed.
To reproduce:

1. Run `emacs -Q`.
2. Enter `M-x pixel-scroll-precision-mode RET`
3. Move the mouse cursor to the echo area (minibuffer should be hidden).
4. Scroll with the mouse wheel. I'm using a trackpad with libinput
   (xinput2) but I don't think that'll make a difference?

This appears to be happening because the window is one-line high so
there's obviously nothing to scroll.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.18.0) of 2024-05-07 built on Laptop
Repository revision: d0b36be59ab9840eebbda45609bc8c075ece40c0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-m17n-flt --without-selinux --without-pop
 --without-gconf --enable-link-time-optimization
 --with-native-compilation=yes --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=no
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xft --without-xaw3d
 --with-cairo-xcb --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now
 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,-z,noexecstack -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP
X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cus-start cus-load pixel-scroll cua-base ring subr-x rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 58507 10490) (symbols 48 6439 0) (strings 32 14905 2238)
 (string-bytes 1 417728) (vectors 16 9144)
 (vector-slots 8 119890 8551) (floats 8 73 13) (intervals 56 311 0)
 (buffers 992 10))