Subject: Re: bug#7085: fmt (GNU coreutils) 6.10

From: William Plusnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:20:31 -0500

> Isn't the more modular flow that Eric suggested more in keeping with
> the Unix philosophy and the better solution?  If you want to do both
> stripping of carriage returns and word wrapping together then you can
> pipe them together.
>
>   tr -d '\r' < somefile | fmt
>
> Or if you are calling it as a stdin filter such as within an editor:
>
>   tr -d '\r' | fmt
>
> Bob
>
Yes, it is indeed. I don't know exactly why I chose to try (and
ultimately fail) writing that patch. I think the koan ESR wrote for
The Rootless Root: The Unix Koans Of Master Foo has some truth to it:
“There is more Unix-nature in one line of shell script than there is
in ten thousand lines of C.”

Finally in true koan fashion, "I am enlightened." :^)

William