Subject: bug#70820: [PATCH] Editable grep buffers

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2024 08:42:30 +0530

[செவ்வாய் மே 07, 2024] Jim Porter wrote:

> On 5/7/2024 9:25 AM, Visuwesh wrote:
>> I'm sending the patch now to see if there's enough interest before I go
>> about fixing the edge cases (there's bug#52815).  If there is enough
>> interest, I will take a shot at implementing something like this for
>> xref result buffers too.
>
> How does this compare to the existing wgrep package? That doesn't have
> copyright assignment to the FSF, but otherwise, I think it's the bar
> against which any similar package should be measured. I use it pretty
> frequently (and have even written a plugin for it for my own grep-like
> major mode), and it's pretty much exactly the way I'd want this sort
> of thing to work. Something with feature-parity that lives in the
> Emacs tree would be great though.

I definitely agree that wgrep is the standard to which my patch should
be compared with.  I haven't actually used wgrep before but I took a
look at its README and so far, the features that are missing are:

    · I already quoted: deleting lines from the file.  I may tackle this
      once I get the basic editing features reliable.
    · Aborting changes wholesale: this should be easy and is already on
      my list.
    · Aborting changes in a region: I wonder if we cannot simply use
      undo restricted to a region to do it.  But otherwise, I can take a
      look at implementing this since I am also interested in this (but
      once I get the basics reliable).

Thanks for your input.  If I missed something from wgrep that you use,
please let me known.  I will play around with wgrep in some time to
learn more about what it offers myself.