Subject: bug#70819: closed (Re: [PATCH v2] Make clone-indirect-buffer-other-window use other window (bug#70819))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 12:20:02 +0000

Your bug report

#70819: 29.3; clone-indirect-buffer-other-window is inconsistent with *-other-window commands

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70819: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70819
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Make clone-indirect-buffer-other-window use other window (bug#70819)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 15:18:51 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked],
> 	Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 11:32:00 -0400
> 
> Previously, depending on the settings in display-buffer-alist,
> clone-indirect-buffer-other-window would display the cloned buffer in
> the original window, behaving identically to clone-indirect-buffer with
> a non-nil display-flag. This behavior was inconsistent with other-window
> commands which always used another window.
> 
> Now, clone-indirect-buffer-other-window uses
> switch-to-buffer-other-window. This means it uses the same logic as
> other-window commands like find-file-other-window and info-other-window.
> 
> display-flag was kept for API stability and functional compatibility
> reasons.
> 
> * lisp/simple.el: (clone-indirect-buffer-other-window): Use
> switch-to-buffer-other-window.

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.3; clone-indirect-buffer-other-window is inconsistent with *-other-window commands
From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 12:19:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Emacs!

clone-indirect-buffer-other-window does not match the behavior
*-other-window commands (e.g. find-file-other-window).

find-file-other-window calls switch-to-buffer-other-window, which
ensures that the new file /always/ appears in a different window than
the current one.

clone-indirect-buffer-other-window insteads wraps clone-indirect-buffer
in a (pop-up-windows t) binding, which (somehow) results in different
behavior. Depending on the value of display-buffer-alist, the "other
window" can in fact be the active window, making
clone-indirect-buffer-other-window behave indentically to
clone-indirect-buffer.

This can be reproduced with Emacs -Q and the minimal config:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
               '(".*"
                 (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-same-window))
               ;; Append so default behavior is lowest priority
               t)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The convention with *-other-window commands is to, well, run * and
display in another window, regardless of the settings in
display-buffer-alist. switch-to-buffer-other-window is another example
of a command that follows the expected behavior, even though it follows
a similar pattern to clone-indirect-buffer-other-window (wrap a command
in (pop-up-windows t)).

As a possible solution I found that this replacement for
clone-indirect-buffer-other-window behaves as expected:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(defun my-clone-indirect-buffer-other-window (newname display-flag &optional norecord)
  "Like `clone-indirect-buffer' but display in another window."
  (interactive
   (progn
     (if (get major-mode 'no-clone-indirect)
	 (error "Cannot indirectly clone a buffer in %s mode" mode-name))
     (list (if current-prefix-arg
	       (read-buffer "Name of indirect buffer: " (current-buffer)))
	   t)))
  (switch-to-buffer-other-window
   (clone-indirect-buffer newname display-flag norecord)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3
 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/richard/.guix-home/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /home/richard/.guix-home/profile/lib/emacs/native-site-lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  beacon-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  eat-eshell-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  mml-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/v8r6az9568lv4p8srgamrmsm92krn130-emacs-transient-0.6.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient-0.6.0/transient hides /gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/transient
/gnu/store/w89y5r65d5d0gfp1pv522ylyfmhh0iv2-emacs-xref-1.6.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/xref-1.6.3/xref hides /gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/progmodes/xref
/gnu/store/ilfyjbpfsc1lbqwyllx0kzqg9h31zic3-emacs-project-0.10.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/project-0.10.0/project hides /gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/progmodes/project
/gnu/store/y42sbhcwppj5wzfd2cn4kwjpni301psh-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/gnu/store/y42sbhcwppj5wzfd2cn4kwjpni301psh-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /gnu/store/pa2xpl78avk687hk82601rdqiacrzip3-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug ace-window avy vc-git misearch multi-isearch
cl-print dabbrev embark-consult consult magit-bookmark bookmark
jka-compr shortdoc mule-util mail-extr embark-org embark ffap cal-iso
face-remap org-agenda org-element org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree
org-refile smartparens-org ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs ol org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs
smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens rainbow-delimiters
hl-line rs-utils rs-ui beacon all-the-icons-completion all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons which-key diminish
doom-dracula-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base moody time rs-tools
daemons rs-smtp smtpmail rs-skeleton rs-navigation marginalia orderless
savehist vertico rs-media rs-magit magit-extras magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit package
url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func
imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm rs-integrations debbugs
soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util
xsd-regexp rs-ibuffer rs-guix rs-project rs-eshell esh-var esh-mode
esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups
esh-util eat term disp-table ehelp shell pcomplete color rs-erc rs-epg
rs-elfeed rs-editing rg files-x vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack advice
rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext
ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs cus-edit wgrep grep rs-dired ls-lisp dired-x
rs-core server autorevert filenotify delsel comp comp-cstr warnings rx
exec-path-from-shell rs-constants battery dbus rs-auth-source
auth-source-pass rs-scheme skeleton geiser-guile info-look info
transient format-spec geiser geiser-debug geiser-repl geiser-image
geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc geiser-edit
geiser-completion geiser-eval geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme
geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-log geiser-popup view
geiser-custom geiser-base rs-rust rs-password-store rs-org plantuml-mode
xml dash edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key rs-docker
rs-csharp rs-cl slime easy-mmode apropos compile etags fileloop
generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp
comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core json map byte-opt url-vars rs-nnrss rs-gnus nnmail gnus-int
mail-source gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-load no-littering compat cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode cl-seq use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile lorem-ipsum-autoloads geiser-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
xref-autoloads project-autoloads spinner-autoloads hydra-autoloads
ht-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads flycheck-autoloads rustic-autoloads
password-store-autoloads pass-autoloads plantuml-mode-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads web-mode-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
slime-autoloads which-key-autoloads moody-autoloads
doom-themes-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads diminish-autoloads beacon-autoloads
all-the-icons-completion-autoloads memoize-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads daemons-autoloads embark-autoloads
consult-autoloads marginalia-autoloads orderless-autoloads
vertico-autoloads popup-autoloads f-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads
avy-autoloads ace-window-autoloads tablist-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
async-autoloads transient-autoloads magit-autoloads
soap-client-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eat-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
s-autoloads rg-autoloads wgrep-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
dirvish-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads compat-autoloads
no-littering-autoloads guix-emacs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 528988 94652)
 (symbols 48 37661 19)
 (strings 32 143315 8616)
 (string-bytes 1 5332872)
 (vectors 16 74407)
 (vector-slots 8 1234663 74885)
 (floats 8 1065 1349)
 (intervals 56 3951 475)
 (buffers 984 18))

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.