Subject: bug#70815: [PATCH] ; Enahnce python-tests.el to adapt different python interpreters

From: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 00:52:34 +0900

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Cc: kobarity <[email-masked]>
> > From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:20:44 +0000
> > 
> > It makes sense to look for "python3", but is it really useful to look
> > for "python2" at this point?
> I don't think we want to drop Python 2.x support, not yet.

I don't want to drop Python 2 support either, but I don't think the
addition of the "python2" command is mandatory.  As the current master
does not run the "python2" command either.  However, I don't think it
is a bad idea to add the "python2" command. 

Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi,
> I attached the latest patch, hope it resolved all your concerns.

Hi Lin,
There is still a typo "Enahnce" in the summary line, and there is a
typo in the docstring of `python-tests-get-shell-interpreter' as well.

> > If there is only python2 in the PATH and no python or python3, some tests will fail.
> It's caused by the python.el didn't search "python2", so it may need
> another patch to change python.el.

I don't think so.  Attached is a diff to your patch to resolve this
issue.  It let-binds `python-shell-interpreter' in some ERTs.  It
also includes the fix of the typo in the docstring of
`python-tests-get-shell-interpreter'.

Without these modifications, EMACS_PYTHON_INTERPRETER will not work as
expected either on those ERTs.

As for EMACS_PYTHON_INTERPRETER, I am a little doubtful that it is the
right thing to introduce.  It allows the ERT runner to specify the
interpreter.  It's OK for ERTs that can be run on both Python 2 and 3,
but you may want to write an ERT that can only be run on Python 3.