Subject: bug#70811: ConTeXt-mode-cleanup clobbers my paragraph-start

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2024 14:22:47 +0900

Hi Jim,

>>>>> Jim <[email-masked]> writes:
> ConTeXt mode has the defun ConTeXt-mode-cleanup which is the :after-hook
> of ConTeXt-mode.  In this cleanup defun, paragraph-start is re-set.
> Unfortunately, this over-writes my choice of paragraph-start which I set
> in my ConTeXt-mode hook.  Unless there is some ":after-after-hook" or
> ":really-after-hook" or ":my-after-hook" or some other (unknown to me)
> way of doing something after ConTeXt-mode-cleanup, I have to
> handraulically (re-)setq paragraph-start after loading my file.

> This is not a good thing.

> The comment in context.el mentions doing this for reasons similar to the
> same part of latex.el,
>       ;; Don't do locally-bound test for `LaTeX-paragraph-commands-regexp'
>       ;; and `paragraph-start'.  See comments in similar part in latex.el.
> but not being a latex user I don't understand why this is desired for latex
> users, and so I can't transmogrify that to why context users might want
> this.

> In any case,
> (a) do we really need the paragraph-start setting code in context.el, and
> (b) if so, could there be some user option which tells ConTeXt-mode-cleanup
>     to *not* setq paragraph-start ?

> (Or perhaps there is already a way which I don't have enough emacs-fu to
> know.  I am happy to be enlightened.)

Thank you for the report. The reason for LaTeX mode is that this
treatment enables AUCTeX to add flexibly new commands afterwards as
paragraph starters through sub files supporting various LaTeX packages
("style files" in AUCTeX terminology). AUCTeX style files overwrites
`paragraph-start' casually in LaTeX mode, so users who want to customize
it in the LaTeX mode hook should actually set `LaTeX-paragraph-commands'
instead.

In principle, ConTeXt mode should have similar framework, although the
current AUCTeX style files have no support for ConTeXt modules except
TikZ.

I think I can implement `ConTeXt-paragraph-commands' like LaTeX mode and
then you can set it instead of `paragraph-start'. What do you think
about this idea?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW