Subject: Re: bug#70796: 30.0.50; bug-reference-mode leading to constant GCing

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 12:33:06 +0200

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe you could try my same libgccjit version, this would confirm if
> it's a libgccjit version specific bug or it's OS specific.
>
> In case you can build any libgccjit easily from the gcc repo following
> [1].

Homebrew libgccjit unforunately only supports a pre-built version 14, or
--HEAD which so far never built successfully.

My own attempts to build from GCC git also failed so far because of
conflicting dependencies, and I didn't want to mess that much with my
system. Also, I found GCC's use, or non-use, of branches and tags pretty
confusing, and couldn't find an up-to-date description how that's
intended to work. Anyway, I've given up on that.

> Another approach would be to add the ";; no-native-compile: t" cookie by
> bisection to our .el files to discover if a specific compilation unit
> being native compiled is causing the issue you observe.

I thought about something like that to at least find the place where
things go astray, but - besides the fact that that would take me forever
- in the end I would be in the same position that I was with igc: a
thousandt lines arm64 assembly, C code that looks okay, and so on...

So, won't happen, sorry :-)