Subject: bug#70784: Abolish string resizing

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2024 19:25:00 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Emacs Lisp is not a hot-rod where crucial, fundamental facilities are
  > dispensable in the face of a performance improvement 

That is valid.

There are various reasons why it is useful to be able to relocate the
contents of strings.  Changing the size of a string is just one of
them.

Even if we adopt MPS GC now, that doesn't imply we will never again
change to some other GC.  We have replaced GC in the past.  Maybe in
the future we will once again want to relocate string contents.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)