Subject: Re: bug#70783: [PATCH] Allow compilation messages to be suppressed

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 08:59:16 +0200

Hi Arash,

My package-to-be https://github.com/ultronozm/preview-auto.el (mentioned at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2024-04/msg00086.html)
calls preview-region on a timer, previewing everything near the visible
buffer.  Currently, it uses inhibit-message so as not to flood the
minibuffer with the following sorts of messages:

Saving file /XXX/_region_.tex...
Wrote /XXX/_region_.tex
Type ‘C-c C-l’ to display results of compilation

Such messages still appear in the *Messages* buffer.  I think it'd be
better to suppress them altogether.  This patch (and a couple other hacks
in my own code) would allow me to do so.

Of course, if you have other suggestions, they'd be very welcome.

Thanks, best,

Paul

On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 8:43 AM Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > This patch introduces a dynamic variable that allows suppression of
> > the messages "Type (...) to display results of compilation."
>
> Thanks.  Is there a specific use case for this?  Can you elaborate a
> little?
>
> Best, Arash
>