Subject: bug#7077: 24.0.50; mouse-drag-copy-region - name should say copy as kill

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 16:02:34 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I think that sounds reasonable, but, on the other hand, is it really
>> necessary for all these functions to mention "kill" in the function
>> name?  It seems intuitive (to me) that `mouse-drag-copy-region' puts
>> stuff in the kill ring -- what else would it do?
>
> 1. "Copy" can mean a couple different things.  One misunderstanding
> might be to copy the region to another location in a buffer - a la
> copy + paste.
>
> 2. It's helpful for Emacs to be consistent and put important Emacs
> terms into command names that involve them.

That's true, but I'm not sure that this consistency is worth renaming
user-visible customisation variables just to be that consistent.

I was confused -- I thought `mouse-drag-copy-region' was a function, but
it's a variable, which makes renaming even more of a problem, in my
opinion.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/