Subject: bug#70764: 29.1; M-x gdb: don't ask me about debuginfod server if debuginfod is not in context

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 10:20:37 +0300

> From: Rolf Ade <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 04:00:20 +0200
> 
> 
> With 29.1 as well as with trunk(both tested with -Q) if I call M-x gdb I
> get asked:
> 
> "Enable querying debuginfod servers for this session? (y or n)"
> 
> Even if I answer with "n" I get the message:
> 
> "No symbol \"debuginfod\" in current context."

I think this means your GDB is too old and doesn't support debug info
downloading, or was built without that support.  We don't know how to
know in advance that this is not supported, thus the user option that
you can customize to avoid these questions if your GDB cannot use
debuginfod.

What OS are you using GDB on, and what is your GDB version, please?

> If it is about the advertising aspect then why not more clear don't ask
> questions and instead write a message like: "You cannot use debuginfod
> servers. Consider using this marvelous feature".

It isn't about advertising.  The question is real (and important when
the feature is supported).