Subject: Re: bug#70760: 29.3.50; core dumps when copy in other apps

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2024 19:34:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> I did (setq debug-on-error t), went to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs, randomly selected a fragment
>> "Emacs has over", then did a ctrll+c.
>>
>> Emacs in VirtualBox immediately showed the following:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>>   dbus-handle-event((dbus-event "[ \11]*$"))
>>   funcall-interactively(dbus-handle-event (dbus-event "[ \11]*$"))
>>   call-interactively(dbus-handle-event nil [(dbus-event "[ \11]*$")])
>>   command-execute(dbus-handle-event nil [(dbus-event "[ \11]*$")] t)
>
> Does VirtualBox have anything in its documentation that suggests that
> Ctrl-C on the Windows side will cause a D-Bus event on the VM side?
>
> Michael, any idea what is this D-Bus event, and what does it have to
> do with copying into the Windows clipboard?

`dbus-handle-event' is the handler for D-Bus events (sic!). It is
invoked, when a D-Bus event arrives in the keyboard buffer, see
`special-event-map'.

It isn't called explicitly anywhere in Emacs. So I assume that the
"D-Bus" event is pushed to the keyboard buffer by accident, when
communicating with the VirtualBox.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.