Subject: Re: bug#70708: hyperrogue: correct font path

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 10:39:38 -0500

The game source code includes a copy of the dejavusans.ttf
https://github.com/zenorogue/hyperrogue/blob/master/DejaVuSans.ttf

Since the source is considered the first input to the package the
function `search-input-file` finds it in the games source code and thus
the checkout of the code becomes a runtime dependency. This means that
the music and sounds folders which are copied to the package build must
be downloaded twice (one in checkout and one in built package) to use
the game.

If you run `guix graph hyperrogue --type=references -M 1 | grep
checkout` you will see the runtime dependency on the code checkout and
if you remove font-dejavu from the dependencies without my patch you
will see it still renders text fine in game. With my patch it correctly
uses the font from the dejavu package and no longer depends on the checkout.

If this is intended then at least we should remove the dependency on
font-dejavu since it is not used at all and reference the music and
sound from the checkout instead of copying it over and then also needing
the original.

On 2025-02-20 8:03 a.m., Steve George wrote:
> Hi Tadhg,
> 
> Your patch in #70708 embeds the font in hyperrogue to be font-dejavu [0]. Can you explain why this is necessary please? I'm not familiar with this game, but I just quickly ran it and the font appeared to be fine in the tutorial.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Steve / Futurile
> 
> [0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70708
> 
>