Subject: bug#70696: [PATCH] Autoload `re-disassemble'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 14:19:07 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Stefan Monnier
>  <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 02 May 2024 10:27:39 +0000
> 
> "Mattias Engdegård" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > (Ihor, see it like this: the fact that you want it conveniently accessible means that you are one of a select few who have a reason to use it, and cool enough to add your own local autoload.)
> 
> AFAIK, these kinds of helper functions are usually defined in C code and
> are available without any requires as long as Emacs is compiled with
> right flags. Having to do (require 'disass) was a surprise - I had to
> search Emacs sources.

I wonder why it was a surprise.  I'm quite used to the fact that some
functions and variables are not known until I load their package.  You
seem to say that it never happens to you?  How come? Emacs has gobs of
stuff that is not autoloaded, including commands and user options.