Subject: bug#70686: 30.0.50; cl--position is slow

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 15:34:19 +0300

> From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 08:20:56 -0400
> 
> It would be preferable to improve the performance of that 
> function, as it would benefit anyone using it.

Sure, if you have a patch to improve performance, please share it.

But otherwise asking for better performance here is not very useful,
because we'd like to improve performance of everything in Emacs.  IOW,
the need and the motivation exist, but without some practical
suggestion how to improve there's no way to resolve such issues raised
here.

So:

> Slow performance, especially in a widely used library like cl-lib, 
> is a bug.
> Where would you prefer such observations be reported?

I think only cases of abysmally inadequate and terribly slow
performance should be reported as bugs, when there's no practical
suggestion for improving the performance.

> Are you confident the performance trade-off is due to dispatching 
> on sequence types in this case?
> Do you think the performance could be improved without sacrificing 
> that flexibility?
> I'll dig into it more when I have time, but I'm starting a 
> discussion here in case someone has already made an attempt or 
> knows the answers to those questions.

Discussions generally don't belong here.  A better place for that is
emacs-devel, if only because many more people read it.

Thanks.