Subject: bug#70686: 30.0.50; cl--position is slow

From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 08:20:56 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes: 
 
> Not sure why is this a bug report. 
 
Slow performance, especially in a widely used library like cl-lib, 
is a bug.
Where would you prefer such observations be reported?

> If cl-position is too slow for your application, you can always 
> use
> something else, something that is less generic and more tailored 
> to your specific sequence type(s), no?

As stated, I've done that and am aware of the general 
performance/flexibility trade-offs.
It would be preferable to improve the performance of that 
function, as it would benefit anyone using it.
 
Are you confident the performance trade-off is due to dispatching 
on sequence types in this case?
Do you think the performance could be improved without sacrificing 
that flexibility?
I'll dig into it more when I have time, but I'm starting a 
discussion here in case someone has already made an attempt or 
knows the answers to those questions.