Subject: bug#70679: 29.3; emacs menu doesn't redraw properly

From: Chris BSomething <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 01:11:15 +0800

Often I'm seeing the behavior in emacs that an area at the top of the
window.... the menu area basically, does not redraw properly. So instead
of seeing the emacs menu, I see garbage which is basically the visual
contents
of other applications on the screen.

Oh, the menu still seems to work. If I click where the menu ought to be,
menus come up. But when they disappear again, the same garbage remains.

The normal things that one might expect to remedy a redrawing
glitch... i.e. resizing the window, or covering it up and uncovering
again, do not help.

I've seen it happen a number of times, so it's not a one off glitch.

Using emacs 29.3 as in the latest Arch Linux. I'm using Xwindows
KDE. I'm using dual monitors, not that that should matter (unless it
somehow gets confused by the whole resolution thing).

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --with-tree-sitter --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
 -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/Google/emacs/ace-jump-mode hides
/home/chris/.emacs.d/elpa/ace-jump-mode-20140616.815/ace-jump-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree face-remap ispell conf-mode dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mule-util shell pcomplete pulse color files-x grep xref
cl-extra help-mode vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc pp project ld-script
display-line-numbers skeleton sh-script smie treesit executable vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher sql view time-date misearch
multi-isearch inf-groovy cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring groovy-mode rx dash
s yaml-mode thing-cmds hide-comnt thingatpt+ thingatpt cl
manoj-dark-theme finder-inf groovy-mode-autoloads info dash-autoloads
s-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 396795 15541)
 (symbols 48 21903 0)
 (strings 32 120381 3154)
 (string-bytes 1 3236843)
 (vectors 16 36520)
 (vector-slots 8 502744 27902)
 (floats 8 224 338)
 (intervals 56 9063 946)
 (buffers 984 61))