Subject: Re: [bug#70677] [PATCH 0/2] Improve syslog service flexibility

From: Jean-Baptiste Note <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 23:34:30 +0100

Hi Ludovic,

First, thank you for devoting some previous Christmas time to this.  I'm
reading this out of office, and i'm suddenly assailed by a doubt. It's
been a while, but I think the second patch, amending the commandline,
was completely untested and completely wrong.

Indeed the string "-f syslog.conf" is not a proper argument and won't be
parsed as such, it should probably be something like "-f"
#$(syslog.conf) (two separate arguments).

I can't easily assess the situation from where I am, or access a
possibly updated patch version from work, but maybe the continuous
integration is showing the problem.

I'm very sorry for the situation, and I think you may want to revert
this part of the series to avoid nuisances to people who would do a
system upgrade.

I will send a fixed patch as soon as possible, which may take a few
days. The problem doesn't show upon system build but on system reboot,
and manifests itself with an early fail during the herd startup
sequence.

I'm very sorry about the situation, and even more so about wasting your
time.

Kind regards,
Jean-Baptiste