Subject: Re: bug#70663: [email-masked] is really hard to build

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 11:03:41 -0400

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
>> At least from what I can see on the issues, the problem was introduced
>> with the update to 3.98.0 [3] and then continued with the update to 3.99
>> [4]. Given the changes in 70662 were sent to guix-patches and then
>> merged less than 24 hours later, I'd imagine that wasn't sufficient time
>> for data.qa.guix.gnu.org to fail attempting to build nss.
>
> I think in [3] you meant https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70569, not #70662.
>
> Since this was security sensitive, I built it on x86_64, tested it there
> to ensure that IceCat worked as expected, had others confirmed it worked
> for them on #guix then pushed.
[...]
>> 3: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70662
>> 4: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70618

Note that the IceCat package in Guix currently uses the copy of NSS that
comes bundled with the IceCat source code, so testing IceCat probably
won't tell you much about whether the standalone NSS package in Guix
works properly.

     Regards,
       Mark