Subject: 23.2; w32: letter.xpm displayed in mode line with stray red pixels

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:30:55 +0200

emacs -Q
 M-x set-variable RET display-time-mail-file RET SOME-NONEMPTY-FILE RET
 M-x set-variable RET display-time-use-mail-icon RET t RET
 M-x display-time RET

Now watch how the "letter" icon is displayed on the mode line of the
selected window.  On my Windows XP box, there's a thin (probably
1-pixel) red line above the icon, along the border of the mode line.
I attach an image near the end of this report.

The same happens in Emacs 24 built today.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-07-10 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC o f SPC t r i v i a l SPC e d i t i n g SPC e a 
c h SPC t i m e SPC I S-SPC m e r g e SPC f r o m SPC 
m y SPC b r a n c h e s SPC t o SPC m a i n l i n e 
. <down> <C-home> <C-end> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> 
<C-right> <C-left> B e i n g SPC a b l e SPC t o SPC 
M-l <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> M-q <down> 
<down> C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <C-home> C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <C-home> C-c C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> d M-n C-x C-s <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> C-u 1 C-h i C-x k <return> C-u C-h i 
<up> <down> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> g n <tab> b 
z <tab> e <tab> t r <tab> i n f <tab> e l i s p <return> 
M-x r e n a m e - b u <tab> <return> <up> <return> 
M-x d e s k <tab> s <tab> <return> ~ / <return> <switch-frame> 
C-x C-f <M-backspace> . e m <tab> <return> <down> <down> 
C-a <C-right> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> C-SPC 
<down> <M-right> <down> M-w <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> C-x b * s c r <tab> <return> <C-home> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <left> M-w <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 
b <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> M-q <up> <down> C-/ M-w <help-echo> C-x 
k <return> C-x b <return> <help-echo> M-x C-g <switch-frame> 
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Sending...
Added to d:/usr/eli/rmail/SENT.MAIL
Sending...done
No following nondeleted message
Saving file d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX...
Wrote d:/usr/eli/rmail/INBOX
Mark set [3 times]
Undo!
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug vc-dispatcher smerge-mode diff-mode warnings tar-mode
find-func compile debug cus-edit cus-start cus-load tramp-imap assoc
tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-cache tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp shell
format-spec tramp-compat trampver mule-util ebuff-menu electric
rmailmm help-mode view rmailout dabbrev auth-source message ecomplete
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums nnheader
gnus-util netrc mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader
canlock hashcash smtpmail mailalias mailabbrev sendmail rmailedit
multi-isearch conf-mode newcomment ld-script dired-x dired-aux dired
tcl generic nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph
nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode arc-mode archive-mode python-21 python
comint ring parse-time vc-cvs jka-compr sh-script executable make-mode
add-log flyspell ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload org-footnote org-src
org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs time-date noutline outline
easy-mmode info vc-bzr sha1 hex-util cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
regexp-opt rmailsum rmail mail-utils desktop server filecache
saveplace generic-x paren battery time tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)