Subject: bug#7064: eps files in lispintro directory are mostly invalid

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:08:53 -0400

Michael Gilson wrote:

> I tried to read cons-1.eps and Ghostscript couldn't preview or load
> the file. The same happens with every other eps in the directory,
> except for drawers.eps, which loads fine.

The versions in the Emacs repository render fine for me on GNU/Linux,
using `gv 3.7.1', and it does not look like they have changed since
Emacs 22.

For all except drawers.eps, the bounding box seems not to be detected
correctly, leaving an A4 (for me) sized page with the image at the
top-left. Depending on your default GV zoom, you may be faced with an
apparently blank page at startup.

The difference seems to be caused by the missing "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0"
magic in the first line of every file except drawers.eps. If I add
this, the bounding box is correctly detected. Does it work for you?

There is a comment in all the files "Due to bugs in Transcript, the
'PS-Adobe-' stuff is omitted from line 1". I don't know what this
means. If it was just a bug with the program used to create these
images, I don't know why the author didn't just add that line by hand.

> In GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002)
>  of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON