Subject: Re: bug#70622: [PATCH] New window parameter 'cursor-type'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 11:48:07 +0200

>> WRT cursor-in-non-selected-windows, I think
 >> there are two viable options:
 >>
 >> 1. Give cursor-in-non-selected-windows precedence over the new window
 >>     parameter, and add another window parameter to override
 >>     cursor-in-non-selected-windows.
 >> 2. Give the new window parameter precedence also over
 >>     cursor-in-non-selected-windows.
 >>
 >> In the updated patch, I went with option 2, so if you set the
 >> cursor-type window parameter, that overrides any buffer-local variable,
 >> whether or not the window is selected.  I think that's sensible enough,
 >> WDYT?
 >
 > I tend to think option 1 is better, but I'm curious what others think.
 > Martin, WDYT?

I'd give 'cursor-in-non-selected-windows' precedence over the new window
parameter and not add another window parameter to override it.  IIUC
that's what a buffer-local value of 'cursor-in-non-selected-windows'
currently does to a 'cursor-type' frame parameter.

 >> Not necessarily.  In cases where we want to ensure the cursor is redrawn
 >> immediately in a non-selected window, we can use force-window-update
 >> after setting the window parameter.  Should that be mentioned in the
 >> documentation as well?
 >
 > I think it would be better to make sure the parameter takes effect
 > immediately.  Documenting the force-window-update thing should be
 > fallback, if the immediate effect is impossible.

I think 'set-window-parameter' should handle 'cursor-type' specially -
when it changes, it should set that window's redisplay flag.

martin