Subject: bug#70617: 30.0.50; python-indent-shift-right indents left when line is whitespace

From: Patrick Poitras <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:16:46 -0700

Hi all.

I've noticed this weird behavior of python-indent-shift-right.

Let's say I have a block of code. The "|" character represents my cursor

In a python file, I write

if True:
|

(... file contents continue)

and then call python-indent-shift-right on an empty line. It does nothing.
If the second line has any amount of spaces, the whitespace is entirely
deleted.

Given that Python's whitespace is syntactically significant, the expected
behavior should be to add an indent to an empty line, or to prepend 4
characters (or 8, given user choice) to the empty line if it has
whitespace. From a cursory glance, I think we're running into some behavior
of indent-rigidly that tries to prevent the addition of superfluous white
space following an indented block of code. I assume this would be
potentially desirable for languages with non-significant whitespace, but in
the case of the python-specific function, the resulting behavior defies
both the function name and description.

----- System information -----
In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-04-27 built on
 localhost.localdomain
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --with-tree-sitter
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-cairo
 --with-libotf --with-modules --without-sound
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-json
 SYS=--build=x86_64-suse-linux 'CFLAGS=-flto -O3 -march=native
 -mtune=native''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-seq compile
text-property-search comp-run comp-common python rx project byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile compat pcase treesit comint ansi-osc ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 116911 12528) (symbols 48 7663 0) (strings 32 37654 2057)
 (string-bytes 1 1726924) (vectors 16 21902)
 (vector-slots 8 237509 8385) (floats 8 49 13) (intervals 56 419 0)
 (buffers 992 13))