Subject: Re: bug#70593: 30.0.50; Dired: buffers of renamed dirs are broken

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 15:08:10 +0200

Michael Heerdegen via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife
of text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Not sure what you mean.  Even in vanilla Emacs,
> > I think subdir insertion is supported.  E.g.:
> >
> > M-: (dired (list "foobar" "/tata/file.txt"
> >                  "/toto/dir/" "/titi/"))
>
> Hmm, indeed, this works in -Q.  Seems one of my local hacks broke this
> case.

No no... not my fault: this does only work when starting from a buffer
whose `default-directory' is a parent of the listed directories.  Else I
get (in master emacs -Q) a buffer looking like

 /home/micha/.config:
  drwxr-xr-x 24 micha micha 4096 Nov 22 14:27 /home/micha/Treasure
  drwxr-xr-x  4 micha micha 4096 Mai  7 17:38 /home/micha/bin

and hitting i gives me the error "dired-insert-subdir-validate:
/home/micha/Treasure/: Not in this directory tree".

Michael.