Subject: bug#70550: closed (Re: bug#70550: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix `find-grep-dired' with default OpenBSD's grep)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:34:04 +0000

Your bug report

#70550: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix `find-grep-dired' with default OpenBSD's grep

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70550: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70550
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70550: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix `find-grep-dired' with default OpenBSD's grep
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:32:59 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 16:14:59 +0200
> From:  Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The '-q' switch is supported by OpenBSD's grep and '-s' does not do the
> right thing.

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix `find-grep-dired' with default OpenBSD's grep
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 16:14:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The '-q' switch is supported by OpenBSD's grep and '-s' does not do the
right thing.

>From f18d9fdfa96cb699113714fd24c0860eef973556 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 16:10:43 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Fix `find-grep-dired' with default OpenBSD's grep

* lisp/find-dired.el (find-grep-options): Select '-q' on OpenBSD too.
---
 lisp/find-dired.el | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/find-dired.el b/lisp/find-dired.el
index 41581cc7900..fa0c034c816 100644
--- a/lisp/find-dired.el
+++ b/lisp/find-dired.el
@@ -120,7 +120,8 @@ find-ls-subdir-switches
   :group 'find-dired)
 
 (defcustom find-grep-options
-  (if (or (eq system-type 'berkeley-unix)
+  (if (or (and (eq system-type 'berkeley-unix)
+               (not (string-match "openbsd" system-configuration)))
 	  (string-match "solaris2" system-configuration))
       "-s" "-q")
   "Option to grep to be as silent as possible.
-- 
2.44.0

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.5) of 2024-04-23
 built on computer
Repository revision: cd56e85c08307915941d5ae03a02569a52a2889c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.5 GENERIC.MP#31 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-gconf --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  windmove-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.6.1/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug ffap cl-print shortdoc comp-common
org-duration org-indent oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org-agenda
org-element org-persist org-id avl-tree completion dos-w32 find-cmd
hmouse-tag hsys-xref hpath hsettings hui-em-but hbut hmouse-drv
hui-window hycontrol windmove hui-select hbdata hgnus hsmail hypb
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs org-compat org-macs locate hmail htz cal-julian hbmap
hmoccur hvar hversion hload-path help-fns radix-tree log-edit pcmpl-unix
smerge-mode diff make-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
view tabify imenu man add-log log-view pcvs-util whitespace
bug-reference sort find-dired vc-annotate descr-text dabbrev face-remap
misearch multi-isearch pulse thai-util thai-word sh-script smie treesit
executable cus-edit cus-start finder-inf mm-archive shr-color textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
network-stream url-cache ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs vc-hg vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-git diff-mode track-changes vc-dispatcher paredit eww
url-queue mm-url mule-util jka-compr on-screen gnus-dired time battery
cus-load desktop frameset exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
zone speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mpdired
transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ebdb-mua
ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe find-func eieio-base timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit web-mode derived disp-table
erlang-start skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message tramp-compat
xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec
tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
use-package-core repeat easy-mmode debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads
cl-extra help-mode ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist magit-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1436639 811533) (symbols 48 74944 2)
 (strings 32 424597 62816) (string-bytes 1 10471248)
 (vectors 16 183291) (vector-slots 8 2557116 41081)
 (floats 8 734 13699) (intervals 56 50833 10796) (buffers 992 84))

-- 
Manuel Giraud