Subject: bug#70540: grep -c -r | grep -v ':0$'

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:10:23 -0400

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 4/23/24 11:32 AM, Dale R. Worley wrote:
>> However, it seems "natural" to me that "grep -c -l", that is, "grep
>> --count --files-with-matches", should give me this result.
>
> Yes, that sounds reasonable. Is your patch a trivial one (10 lines or 
> less)? If so, please send it in. If not, please send in copyright 
> paperwork for grep (I can send you the form for that). Thanks.

The functional code is a bit less than 10 lines, but adding in comments
and updates to the tests it's significantly longer.  So send me the
form.

One further thing, I haven't written any updates to the manual page or
.texi.  Does anyone have suggestions for a good way to do that?

Also, the code change does *not* implement --count
--files-without-match.  In a sense, that ought to become defined also,
but the output would be the same as for --files-without-match with each
file name getting ":0" appended, which seems not worth the trouble of
implementing.

Dale