Subject: bug#70526: closed (Re: bug#70526: 29.2; package-vc-upgrade failed with error message "File is not under version control")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:29:05 +0000

Your bug report

#70526: 29.2; package-vc-upgrade failed with error message "File is not under version control"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70526: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70526
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70526: 29.2; package-vc-upgrade failed with error message "File is not under version control"
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: o0o0o耗子 <[email-masked]>
Cc: 70526 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:28:19 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"o0o0o耗子" <[email-masked]> writes:

> &gt; As the buffer is hidden, I didn't see the need to clean it up.
> It can &gt; be re-used later on and might help with debugging. I think
> you are right. Now we fix this bug. Regards

I have pushed the changes, and will therefore close this bug report.
Thank you for your help!

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

Subject: 29.2; package-vc-upgrade failed with error message "File is not under version control"
From: "Yi Yue" <[email-masked]>
To: "bug-gnu-emacs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:51:18 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all:

I encountered the following Backtrace information when invoking
`package-vc-upgrade'.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "File is not under version control")
&nbsp; error("File is not under version control")
&nbsp; vc-deduce-fileset-1(t nil nil)
&nbsp; vc-deduce-fileset(t)
&nbsp; vc-pull()
&nbsp; ......

After some edebug debugging and reading the source code, I found that
this error occurs if the buffer where `package-vc-upgrade' is called is
not under a git repository. Additionally, if the current buffer of the
command invocation does not correspond to a specific file, then the
command can execute normally.

After reading the implementation of `package-vc-upgrade', I found that it
binds `default-directory' to the package's path. However, the internally
called `vc-pull' function, which uses `vc-deduce-fileset-1', first
utilizes `buffer-file-name' instead of `default-directory' to fetch
version control backend related information, which leads to this error.

In my past usage, I did not encounter this error, probably because I
usually invoked it within a file buffer under a git repository, or used
the command in a buffer provided by `list-packages'. Here is one
solution I used:

(when (eq emacs-major-version 29)
&nbsp; (defun yy/package-vc-upgrade-advice (upfun pkg-desc)
&nbsp; &nbsp; (with-temp-buffer
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; (funcall upfun pkg-desc)))
&nbsp; (advice-add 'package-vc-upgrade :around 'yy/package-vc-upgrade-advice))

In a minimal environment with emacs -Q, the following steps can
reproduce my issue:

;; a simple package by purcell
(package-vc-install "https://github.com/purcell/unfill")
;; then try to upgrade it in a buffer that buffer-file-name is not nil
;; and the file is not under Git version control system.
M-x package-vc-upgrade unfill RET
;; now the error may occurs

Regards

YI YUE