Subject: bug#70522: 29.2.50; eglot-shutdown sends SIGKILL before LSP server can exit gracefully

From: Aaron Zeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:39:32 -0400

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x eglot in some file (I tested with OCaml-LSP and another language
server, the latter is internal to my site)
3. M-x eglot-shutdown

This messages:

[jsonrpc] Server exited with status 9

Which is a little confusing.  One would expect the language server to
exit with status 0, and not end up with "killed" in the events buffer,
if the server exited successfully upon user request.

I installed the following patch locally at my site, and it seems to fix
the issue (now the server exits with status 0).  I think it also better
matches the docstring of `jsonrpc-shutdown'.

diff --git a/jsonrpc.el b/jsonrpc.el
--- a/jsonrpc.el
+++ b/jsonrpc.el
@@ -598,8 +598,8 @@ With optional CLEANUP, kill any associat
        while (not (process-get proc 'jsonrpc-sentinel-cleanup-started))
        unless (zerop i) do
        (jsonrpc--warn "Sentinel for %s still hasn't run, deleting it!" proc)
+       (delete-process proc)
        do
-       (delete-process proc)
        (accept-process-output nil 0.1))
     (when cleanup
       (kill-buffer (process-buffer (jsonrpc--process conn)))

In GNU Emacs 29.2.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-04-15 built on
 psr-qws-hydra382
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.9 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gpm
 --without-gconf --without-selinux --without-imagemagick --with-modules
 --with-gif=no --with-cairo --with-rsvg --without-compress-install
 --prefix=/j/office/app/emacs/store/20240415-155142'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38416 8673)
 (symbols 48 5185 0)
 (strings 32 14033 2273)
 (string-bytes 1 396649)
 (vectors 16 10266)
 (vector-slots 8 156275 9779)
 (floats 8 40 13)
 (intervals 56 253 0)
 (buffers 976 10))