Subject: Re: bug#70519: 30.0.50; Device for Emacs terminal I/O

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 10:39:20 -0700

On 2024-05-04 10:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So you are saying that the handling of --terminal in emacs.c is
> incomplete, in that it doesn't call that ioctl on the new stdin?

Sounds like that may be so, if that's what Helmut needs.

> In any case, is the result Helmut reports after typing Ctrl-C
> expected, or does it mean we have a bug when using --terminal?

I don't know. I don't use --terminal. Perhaps others who use it could 
weigh in.

> emacs_spawn is about starting a sub-process, which is something
> different from what I'm talking about.  Here, the issue is the Emacs's
> own terminal.

This stuff used to be in different and somewhat-duplicated sections of 
code, but Philipp refactored and coalesced this in 2020. Perhaps a bit 
of the controlling terminal business got lost in the shuffle? I'll cc 
this to Philipp to see whether he has insight on the issue. Philipp, the 
details are here:

https://bugs.gnu.org/70519