Subject: Re: bug#70519: 30.0.50; Device for Emacs terminal I/O

From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2024 17:47:00 +0200

On Sat, May 04 2024, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:32:25 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> More importantly, we already know the name of the terminal: we used it
>> in emacs.c when we processed the --terminal switch.  We just "forgot"
>> it because we didn't save it anywhere.  So one way of fixing this is
>> to record that name and reuse it in init_tty.  E.g., make DEV_TTY
>> non-const, and save the actual name there when we process it in
>> emacs.c.
>
> I attempted to fix this now that way on the master branch.  Would you
> mind testing whether it does what you wanted?  If the current master
> somehow doesn't do what you wanted, I'd appreciate a recipe for
> reproducing the problematic behavior, so I could investigate.

It's much better now.  However, there is still something I would like to
be different.  I basically do this:

1) Start an xterm: xterm -e sh -c 'tty; exec sleep inf'
   This displays /dev/pts/12 and waits.  Let's call this terminal A.

2) Start Emacs in another terminal, let's call it terminal B, start
   Emacs with: emacs -t /dev/pts/12

   This prints "Using /dev/pts/12" and Emacs displays stuff in terminal
   A.  Which is what one would expect.

3) Now when I press C-c in terminal B, I see ^C.  This is not what I
   expect. I would expect that Emacs is interrupted and exits the same
   way a GUI Emacs exits when pressing C-c.