Subject: bug#70517: closed (Re: bug#70517: 29.3; suspicious error message from compile command in Emacs 29.3)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:32:11 +0000

Your bug report

#70517: 29.3; suspicious error message from compile command in Emacs 29.3

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
70517: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70517
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#70517: 29.3; suspicious error message from compile command in Emacs 29.3
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Thomas Düssel <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:30:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:36:57 +0200
> From: Thomas Düssel <[email-masked]>
> 
> I asked on linuxquestions.org for this. Difficulties with the emacs
> build seem to have a tradition on slackware.
> 
> Solutions are offered in customized build scripts but this is far beyond
> my scope of interest so I decided to stick with an alias dumping error
> messages to /dev/null.

OK, I'm therefore closing the bug, as in Emacs 30 this message will
not happen even if you don't redirect.

Subject: 29.3; suspicious error message from compile command in Emacs 29.3
From: Thomas Düssel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:55:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following error message appears in the terminal from which emacs was
started every time I use the 'compile' command:

 > emacs: writing to child signal FD: Invalid argument

The compilation itself (via make) works perfectly fine. Only this new
message is a bit annoying. And so cryptic, isn't it? It did not appear
up until the latest update.

This error message (or whatever it is) appears also, when I start emacs
from a non-X tty (Ctrl + Alt + F2) and with '-Q' option. To be precise,
it appears when I use 'M-x compile' and for longer compilation processes
it appears at the end of the compilation, not at the beginning.

Best Regards,

Tom

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-03-24 built on
  z-mp.slackware.lan
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Slackware 15.0 x86_64

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
  --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --mandir=/usr/man
  --infodir=/usr/info --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-modules
  --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-pdumper=no --with-dumping=unexec
  --build=x86_64-slackware-linux 'CFLAGS=-O2 -fPIC''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS UNEXEC WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: GNUmakefile

Minor modes in effect:
   display-line-numbers-mode: t
   windmove-mode: t
   winner-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/textmodes/css-mode hides
~/.emacs.d/user-lisp/css-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher make-mode display-line-numbers buffer-move
windmove winner ring finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 243254 13743)
  (symbols 48 27947 2)
  (strings 32 78044 1812)
  (string-bytes 1 1836829)
  (vectors 16 26114)
  (vector-slots 8 687379 23398)
  (floats 8 62 78)
  (intervals 56 336 0)
  (buffers 976 11))