Subject: bug#70517: 29.3; suspicious error message from compile command in Emacs 29.3

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:54:20 +0300

> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:30:41 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Thomas Düssel <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> On 4/22/24 21:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > When a sub-process exits, Emacs writes to file descriptor which it
> > monitors with pselect.  This is so we don't miss SIGCHLD for some
> > reason.  Why in your case this write errors out with EINVAL, I don't
> > know.  Perhaps Paul (CC'ed) could have some ideas.
> >
> > If this could happen for benign reasons, maybe we should silently
> > ignore these errors.
> 
> Thanks for that clarification... I received my version of 29.3 as a
> regular package update for slackware 15. My system is pimped with
> some 32bit libraries from alienbob, another distributer of slackware
> packages. As a user with little to no insight in the emacs internals
> I would like to know, if this error message appears on other systems
> aswell and on other slackware systems in particular. Maybe the
> bug-report has to go to the slackware package maintainer?

Please do report to them, it cannot possibly do any harm.  When you
do, please ask them to tell us here whether this could be caused by
some downstream change they made in Emacs, or by some of the libraries
you have installed.

Thanks.