Subject: bug#70498: [PATCH] Fix the user manual for `calendar-time-zone-style'

From: Gautier Ponsinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:47:18 +0200

Tags: patch

Hello everyone,

The manual for the calendar in emacs currently contains this paragraph:

   If you want to display numerical time zones (like ‘"+0100"’) instead
of symbolic ones (like ‘"CET"’), set this to ‘numeric’.

But it is nowhere explain what "this" refer to, it is the variable
`calendar-time-zone-style'.

Please find attached to this mail a patch which rephrase the manual to
refer explicitely to `calendar-time-zone-style'.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-04-19 built on
 gautier-laptop
Repository revision: 473189ab6902b0488f8001fdf993522b82740663
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --with-native-compilation=no --with-xinput2 --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-xft --with-xaw3d --with-sound=no --with-tree-sitter
 --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/gautier/.packages/aur/emacs-git/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs-git
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

>From d08dfd09f5254377b02ad327c9c191a67cc3a9a6 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Gautier Ponsinet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:39:49 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Fix the user manual for `calendar-time-zone-style'

* doc/emacs/calendar.texi (Sunrise/Sunset): Refer to the
variable `calendar-time-zone-style' explicitly.
---
 doc/emacs/calendar.texi | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/calendar.texi b/doc/emacs/calendar.texi
index 7312cfb34c9..856e0be4f1c 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/calendar.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/calendar.texi
@@ -627,7 +627,8 @@ Sunrise/Sunset
 
 @vindex calendar-time-zone-style
   If you want to display numerical time zones (like @samp{"+0100"})
-instead of symbolic ones (like @samp{"CET"}), set this to @code{numeric}.
+instead of symbolic ones (like @samp{"CET"}), set
+@code{calendar-time-zone-style} to @code{numeric}.
 
   As a user, you might find it convenient to set the calendar location
 variables for your usual physical location in your @file{.emacs} file.
-- 
2.44.0