Subject: bug#70456: Request for merging core-updates branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 16:13:53 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> it seems the core-updates branch is first in the merge-queue. haskell-team
>>> was successfully built by the CI and is ready to be merged. Since there
>>> does not seem to be an ETA for core-updates, can I skip the queue and
>>> go ahead with merging haskell-team?
>>>
>>> Lars
>>
>> Hi.
>> The lisp-team branch is also in a good shape and ready to be merged.
>
> I think it's fine to merge these first; perhaps the core-updates merge
> request should be removed if it was preposterous (usually we issue the
> merge request when we are confident the branch is ready to me merged).

Can you clarify what you mean by preposterous?

While the guidance did previously say to raise an issue when you wanted
to merge the branch, it's now changed to when you create the branch in
an attempt to avoid this of situation of long running stateful branches
in the future.

I fail to see how merging core-updates is going to get easier if we
wait.