Subject: Re: branch core-updates updated (c8c6883398 -> 0e06c9697a)

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 10:46:10 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> efraim pushed a change to branch core-updates
> in repository guix.
>
>     from c8c6883398 gnu: dico: Add libxcrypt dependency.
>      new 9804f8c149 gnu: coeurl: Update to 0.3.1.
>      new 51c7b6d76f gnu: font-gnu-freefont: Build with newer fontforge.
>      new 0e06c9697a gnu: Remove fontforge-20190801.
>
> The 3 revisions listed above as "new" are entirely new to this
> repository and will be described in separate emails.  The revisions
> listed as "add" were already present in the repository and have only
> been added to this reference.

These changes confused me as I was looking at the trying to work out why
they needed to be pushed to core-updates. Eventually I figured out that
Git is right, these commits are entirely new, but they duplicate
existing commits already pushed to master (e.g. 0e06c9697a is a
duplicate of 3d5f4b2d7dda).

I know the new guidance says to "Avoid merging master in to the branch",
but one of the reasons for that is to avoid situations just like this
where merges are done incorrectly and commits are duplicated between
branches.

To fix this, I think we should rebase core-updates on master and drop
these commits.