Subject: Re: Request for merging "core-updates" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:42:59 +0100

Hey,

Thanks for raising this issue Steve, given the branch has been going for
around 9 months (since [1]) now, I think it's well overdue to start
looking at building and merging it.

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-commits/2023-07/msg00332.html

I pushed a single commit plus a merge from master today, and that was
pretty difficult. There was plenty of conflicts, and I probably have
resolved some wrongly, and there's potentially some things that Git
didn't raise as conflicts but might have broken with merging in master.

I'm also really confused by what commits appear to be on the branch,
take 12b15585a75062f3fba09d82861c6fae9a7743b2 which appears to be one
core-updates, but it's a duplicate of
e2a7c227dea5b361e2ebdbba24b923d1922a79d0 which was pushed to
master. Same with this commit 28d14130953d868d4848540d9de8e1ae4a01a467,
which is different to f29f80c194d0c534a92354b2bc19022a9b70ecf8 on
master.

Putting aside the functional changes on core-updates, it's doesn't seem
good to merge these seemingly duplicate commits on to master. I'm not
sure how this happened though, or how to fix it.

Chris