Subject: Re: bug#70455: [PATCH] Add new user option `preview-leave-open-previews-visible'

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 00:55:42 +0900

Hi Paul,

>>>>> Paul Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:
> I think there is no such debris, and have attempted to check this, but
> would be happy to learn that I missed something.  The EXCEPTION
> argument is used only in preview-place-preview, where it is the
> overlay being generated -- not something we want to clearout.  The
> changes to preview-place-preview have the effect of keeping the old
> overlays around long enough for the call to preview-gs-place (via
> preview-call-hook) to be able to use the image from the old overlay in
> place of the construction symbol, eliminating the flicker that would
> otherwise occur when regenerating a preview.  The subsequent call to
> preview-clearout should in fact delete that old image, but it stays in
> the cache long enough to serve its fleeting purpose.  Happy to discuss
> further if that'd clarify.

Thanks for clarification. If I understand correctly, "use the image from
the old overlay in place of the construction symbol" means that the user
can't tell whether a particular preview image is to be updated
afterwards or has already been updated, by its appearance only, during
the regeneration process is running. Right? Though I don't object to
that behavior, I think that difference should be mentioned somewhere in
the documentation as a feature (side effect) of non-nil value of the new
customize option.

>> The TeX code appears _to right of_ the preview for inline math
>> expression for me. Is this a misbehavior? Or does your above sentence
>> miss this case?

> You're right, for inlined math, it appears to the right (and for
> displayed math, it's like in my summary).  This is the intended
> behavior, the idea being that someone watching your screen (in person
> or remotely) can stay focused on the equation.

Thanks. Then I'd like to request to update the doc string and
preview-latex.texi accordingly.

To Arash:
It seems that the reason you saw the preview image above the TeX code is
that your inline math is at the beginning of line; in that situation, my
example indeed behaves as you described, too.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW